How Many Starbucks are There in the US?

How Many Starbucks are There in the US

If you’re a coffee lover or a frequent visitor of Starbucks Partner Hours, you might have wondered just how many Starbucks stores are there in the United States. Well, wonder no more, as we’re here to provide you with a comprehensive answer.

As of April 10, 2023, there are 15,966 Starbucks stores in the United States. This number is subject to change as Starbucks continues to expand its reach and open more stores in different areas.

Which States Have the Most Starbucks Stores?

The state with the large number of Starbucks locations in the US is California, with 3,073 stores, which is about 19% of all Starbucks stores in the US. Following California is Texas, with 1,538 stores, and Florida with 1,238 stores.

Interestingly, the state with the fewest Starbucks stores in the US is Vermont, with only 27 locations. Other states with relatively fewer Starbucks stores include North Dakota with 30 stores and Wyoming with 31 stores.

How Has Starbucks Grown Over the Years?

When Starbucks was first founded in 1971 in Seattle, Washington, it only had one store. Over the years, Starbucks grew rapidly and became a household name, expanding not just in the US but in other countries as well.

By 1995, Starbucks had 677 stores across the United States, and this number continued to grow to 2,936 stores in 2001. By 2010, Starbucks had over 10,000 stores worldwide, and in 2021, the company had a total of 32,938 stores across the globe.

Starbucks’ expansion didn’t come without challenges. The company faced criticism for its rapid growth and the impact it had on local coffee shops. In response, Starbucks launched the “Starbucks Shared Planet” initiative, which focused on sustainability and ethical sourcing of coffee beans.

How Many Starbucks Stores are Company-owned vs. Franchised?

How Many Starbucks are There in the US

Image Source: Unsplash

Of the 15,966 Starbucks stores in the US, approximately 60% of them are company-owned, while the remaining 40% are licensed stores or franchises. The company-owned stores are directly owned and operated by Starbucks, while the licensed stores are owned by third-party operators who have the right to use the Starbucks brand and sell its products.

Starbucks has a strict licensing process that ensures the licensed stores meet the company’s standards in terms of product quality, customer service, and overall store experience. This allows Starbucks to maintain consistency in its brand image and ensure that customers receive the same quality of service and products, regardless of the location they visit.


Starbucks has come a long way since its humble beginnings in Seattle, Washington. Today, the company has over 15,966 stores across the United States, with California having the most number of stores. Starbucks continues to expand and grow, with plans to open more stores in different areas in the coming years.

Whether you’re a fan of Starbucks or not, there’s no denying that the company has played a significant role in shaping the coffee industry and setting the standards for coffee shops around the world. With its commitment to sustainability and ethical sourcing, Starbucks is not just a coffee chain, but a company that cares about its impact on the environment and the communities it serves.

Similar Posts